Wednesday, April 1, 2009

68' Vette Nut and Test Drive

Finished the Nut and strung her up, to see how the neck does under tension. I'm not sure yet what gauge the client will be using, so I just grabbed a set off my shelf.. 9-42 I believe. Nice rock gauge. I cut the nut about 2 hundredths of an inch above the first fret. This will start us off with a nice medium to low action. Tuned her, and just for fun intonated her. And then What Else.... I played her for about an hour or so. She had a nice low action good for speed and bends. The strings are evenly spaced down the neck and the action is level throughout. No Buzz anywhere. There is nothing like fresh frets. This will certainly be a players guitar.

The NEXT step will be stripping the old finish off and prepping for sanding sealer and finish. This means I have to fill all the gaps and nicks and try to level out all the pits and ruts. This will be the most time consuming part of the process next to the actual finish itself. On a car this would be easy.....Bondo....On a wooden instrument when the wood is the star of the show, this means layers of clear fill and sealer until I get a nice smooth surface for final finish.

1 comment:

Steve said...

YEAH! That's what I'm talkin' about!!! Sweet Ms. 'Vette is looking great.